Thursday 3 May 2012

Book Favourites: Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind


In a perfect world, reviewers would be able to review every single book they read. But as most of you know, you can't. Sometimes it's because you simply don't have the time. Sometimes it's because you just can't find the inspiration. And sometimes the book you're reading is so awesome that you can't describe it without turning into a blubbering fangirl. Every week I will be highlighting one of such books in Book Favourites.

You might not know it, but I'm also an epic fantasy fan-girl. I love to dive into these huge tomes with stories that span over thousands of pages. One of the first adult fantasy series I read and loved were the Sword of Truth books by Terry Goodkind. Even though all of his books are about six-hundred pages of length, I flew through them at an incredible speed. I own the entire series in hardcover and they look gorgeous on my shelf. I hope to reread them soon, maybe during the summer when I'll take a break from my blog (:


Why this series is awesome:
  • The main character Richard. He is one of my favourite characters of all time. He's passionate and honest, and knows how to handle a sword
  • His love and (further into the story) wife Kahlan. Kahlan has super awesome powers that not even the strongest man can resist. If that isn't girl-power, I don't know what is
  • The fact that Richard and Kahlan stay true to each other, no matter what. Yes, they get separated a LOT. But there is never any real doubt that they love each other
  • Awesome secondary characters - there is the ancient wizard grandfather, the blind but all-knowing bone lady, the formerly abused and torturer turned protector friend, the Mud people
  • The story has this epic feel to it. There are massive battles and everything, but it never ventures into military blubbering that no average person understands
  • It keeps you on the edge of your chair. Seriously, about everything that can go wrong actually goes wrong
  • There is so much of it! It's almost like never-ending!
  • It has been adapted for television (under the name Legend of the Seeker). Why yes, I'm using the actor that plays Richard and his abs to bribe you into reading this series

I recommend this series if you like:
  • Epic fantasy
  • Great couples & true love
  • An incredibly detailed world
  • Battles both small and big
  • No really, the action scenes are to die for
  • Old school wizarding
  • Girl power

13 comments:

mimz said...

I've only read Wizard's First Rule but I absolutely loved it and I intend to finish this series one day.

Hannah said...

I like wizards!

Celine said...

Wizards are awesome

KyleeJ said...

I watched the first season of Legend of the Seeker. I really liked it, but then I lost track of when it was on. :(

I am a big fan of epic fantasy. (Eddings, Carey) I'll have to make a point of checking out this series. Thanks!

Celine said...

You're welcome Kylee! I hope you'll like the books (: I have to check out Eddings and Carey, I haven't read anything by them yet. Thanks for leaving a comment ^^

Leah said...

Yes, Yes, YES. I love everything about this post. ♥

Shannon said...

This is a great series! I read all of them up to Naked Empire.  At that point I just got bogged down.  I was reading them pretty much back to back and I loved them but felt that they started getting pretty preachy the last few books.  I still plan to go ahead and finish reading the series though.  I already have so much time invested in Richard and Kahlan, I have to know what else happens! 

Celine said...

Thanks Leah! That's so sweet (: <3

Celine said...

I agree Shannon, especially if you read them quickly after each other they tend to get a bit repetitive, especially in the monologue department. But yeah, Kahlan and Richard are such great characters, they're worth it in the end (:

Leila | The Fiction Pixie said...

I really want to read this series. I have Wizard's First Rule and absolutely loves Legend of the Seeker but I might actually be intimidated by the epic page number of this book lol.

But if it is anything like the show it will be a good read and isn't there a Richard and Kalan spin off series or something? Working at the library I've been handling The Omen (a Richard & Kalan novel) but never really looked into where it falls in the series.

Leila | The Fiction Pixie

Celine said...

As far as I know, Omen is the 12th book in the Sword of Truth series. Richard and Kahlan are the main characters of all of the books (:

Don't be intimidated by its size, it's a really good book! For me it's one of the fastest reading epic fantasy series.

Leila | The Fiction Pixie said...

 haha I guess I would have just expected it to say a Sword of Truth Novel instead. :) I think I am going to switch up my genre streak of YA and this is definitely on the list :)

Devin said...

I am currently working on the fifth book in the series an I have to say it is so far one of the best epic- fantasy books I've read. The only problem I have with the series is that it tends to get repetitive the farther into the series that you read, but I still recommend
this book to anyone who wants a long and detail oriented series.

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!
Make sure to come back as I try to answer all of the comments (: